Dynamic cell culture models for sepsis and biocompatibility of apheresis systems
- To develop dynamic cell culture models for sepsis.
- To apply these models to gain new knowledge on the pathophysiology of sepsis and on potential novel targets for sepsis therapy (platelets, extracellular histones, microvesicles).
- To apply these models in pre-clinical development to evaluate the efficacy of supportive extracorporeal blood purification approaches for sepsis.
- To assess the role of microvesicles as both markers and targets for therapy in sepsis.
- To develop methods for the removal of extracellular histones and microvesicles using extracorporeal blood purification.
- To develop and apply cell culture models to test and improve the biocompatibility of existing blood purification therapies.
- To provide tools supporting the approval of medical devices according to ISO 10993, minimizing the need for animal experiments during the approval process.